Friday, November 21, 2008

Tanzania

I wasn’t really looking forward to Tanzania. The Serengetti Plain sounded a little threatening to me. Lions and tigers and bears, oh my, leopards and cheetahs and the Maasai. I was actually a little scared to go there.

As it turns out, it was one of my favorite stops on the trip. We took bush planes from Kilamanjaro airport to an airstrip in the Serengetti. Then we boarded pop-top jeeps in groups of six for a game drive. I was the designated scribe. With Shawn and Kathy as spotters, I had a list of animals two pages long in the first two hours! In fact, I still can’t shake the feeling that someone was running ahead of our jeep and planting the animals out there for us to stumble across. Understandable, considering we saw baby lions and a leopard in the first 20 minutes! These are two of the rarest sightings. No one saw a black mambo but I suspect that Jack Daulton will keep persisting until he does. Jack, when it happens, a picture would not be unwelcome. Chances are, there will be a dik-dik in the background. ;-)

Rather than being frightening, seeing the animals in their native habitat was calming to me. The animals were placid, calm, completely at home. We were the guests and their hospitality consisted of politely ignoring us. We were voyeurs. Comfortable for me.




These lion cubs are some of the first animals we saw.


So, Jackie, it was kind of like skiing, worth doing, even if you have to do it scared at first.

No comments: